A substantial part of my role involves PhD and post graduate research mentorship. I thoroughly enjoy being a PhD supervisor, supporting PhD students through to completion and examining PhDs nationally and internationally. All my current PhD students are focused on research into pedagogical development and education practice. This provides an important means of extending our profile in educational excellence and innovation at Coventry University.
Current PhD students
- Peter Ndaa – Professional identity development: exploring the perception of occupational therapy students in Ghana (to submit 2017) using Hermeneutic Phenomenology with IPA. Team: Dr Katherine Wimpenny, Director of Studies (DoS) with Dr Rebecca Khanna, Dr Simon Goodman.
- Danai Mikelli – Introducing Interactive Documentary in the context of Critical Media Education (to submit 2017) using Participatory Action Research. Team: Dr Shaun Hides, DoS & Dr Katherine Wimpenny
- Victoria Baron – Self-esteem, well-being, relatedness to others and the art curriculum (to submit 2018) using Mixed Methods Case Study Research. Team: Dr Katherine Wimpenny, DoS with Professor Julia Carroll & Dr Sarah Merry
- Gary Connor – Assessment, higher education and business school (to submit 2018/9) using Mixed Method Experimental Design. Team: Dr Andrew Turner, DoS with Dr Graeme Sullivan & Dr Katherine Wimpenny
- Proposed (Sept 2017) Alison Rowland – Assessing the value of the contribution of students to the co-creation and generation of new knowledge in work placement situations (2017) using Descriptive Case Study Methodology. Team: Dr Katherine Wimpenny, DoS with Professor Lynn Clouder
- Matt Mawer (awarded 2013) ‘Virtual worlds in UK higher education: Student perspectives’ using Constructivist Grounded Theory. Team: Dr David Morris DoS with Dr Katherine Wimpenny
- Nicole Steils (awarded 2013) ‘Exploring learner identity in virtual worlds in higher education: narratives of pursuit, embodiment and resistance’ using Narrative Inquiry. Team: Professor Maggi Savin-Baden, DoS, with Dr Gurnam Singh & Dr Katherine Wimpenny
- Annette Roebuck (awarded 2013) ‘Challenging cultural; boundaries using creative media: a learning disability communication perspective’ using Arts Based Research. Team: Professor Maggi Savin-Baden, DoS, with Dr Guy Daly, Dr John Woolham & Dr Katherine Wimpenny
- Sally Payne (awarded 2014) How is life experienced by teenagers living with dyspraxia? An interpretative phenomenological analysis. Team: Dr Gill Ward, DoS, Professor Andrew Turner, Dr Katherine Wimpenny, Chris Bark
- Gemma Tombs (awarded 2015) Pedagogical Design for Virtual Worlds: A Case Study Approach. Team: Dr Katherine Wimpenny DoS, with Professor Maggi Savin-Baden & Dr Frances Deepwell